Prolonged tampon use during menstrual periods may set blood infection and toxic shock though seen rarely.
Tampons often preferred to contain high amount of flow during periods and stay dry. Tampons of high absorbency, at times used for prolonged periods, more than four to six hours can be a good culture media for the bacteria to flourish.
Those can be staphylococcus or streptococcus commonly, but can also be any other bacteria.
There can be pre-existing or fresh ulcers in vagina due to faulty technique of insertion and can also be due to large size of tampon to retain a large amount of flow.
The bacteria can gain access to the blood stream through the ulcers and release toxin to give rise to shock, what is termed as Toxic Shock Syndrome (TSS).
That may cause fever, vomiting, fainting attack, loose motion, fall in blood pressure and coma; leading to most feared outcome.
Tampons of high absorbency are not very much in production; and are now prepared from rayon or cotton, or a mixture of both. Warning sheets for possible TSS may be there in the packages, and should be read.
Quickly diagnosed and appropriately treated patients can recover nicely.