Image by the.leafmaker via FlickrSwimming is the most energy consuming physical aerobic exercise. Combined with it a little diet modification in form of negative calorie balance will reduce weight of over weights/obese to a larger extent. It is the best form of exercise for the patients of osteoarthrosis of knee, i.e. age related arthritis; usually seen in old age and obese. While swimming, water off-loads weight from knees and at the same time gives resistance to knee movement thereby working at the joints to strengthen the muscles around the joints. Strengthening muscles give stability to the joint and flexibility to movement. That eases the pain. It works for many, if not for all.
Here are some tips for swimming.
- Ask your friends to join you in swimming.
- Choose swimming sites professionally managed, and those have lifeguards/ trainers.
- Have suitable swim suit.
- Avoid drinking alcohol before and during swimming.
- Take a shower before and after swimming.
- Don’t swallow pool water.
- Do not spit, urinate or spoil the pool water in any manner.
- Do not go for swimming, if suffering from some contagious diseases for safety of others.
- Do not exhaust yourself.