It has trebled its victims in Ireland within a week. There was news of some cases identified in New Delhi.
Immunity from vaccine lasts for 1 year that developed to a particular strain. Appearance of new strain at regular intervals for which influenza virus is notorious for, makes the previous immune status numb.
The risk groups are as usual;
- Anyone aged 65 or over.
- Patients of;
- Chronic chest condition such as asthma,
- Chronic heart disease,
- Chronic liver disease,
- Chronic kidney disease,
- Lowered immunity due to disease or treatment such as steroids or cancer therapy,
- Chronic neurological condition such as stroke, multiple sclerosis or a condition that affects your nervous system, such as cerebral palsy.
- Pregnant women regardless of their stage of pregnancy.
- Children who have previously been admitted to hospital with a chest infection.
- Anyone living in a residential or nursing home.